Seeking Program Coordinator for The Shalom Center: Position Description
The Shalom Center sees itself as a prophetic voice for a spiritually rich world-view committed to active work for justice, peace, and the healing of Earth-Human relationships. We work in the Jewish, multireligious, and American worlds.
We see ourselves as a tugboat helping much larger organizations to change direction; as a seed-sower of new ideas to be carried out by others; and as an idea factory that seeks to get the ideas implemented.
We seek a full-time Program Coordinator who can improve or introduce a set of procedures to the work of The Shalom Center and use these tools and procedures to help its Executive Director -- Rabbi Arthur Waskow -- use his time for the unique work he does.
There is a need to help Rabbi Waskow, people in his networks with whom he works, and the Board of The Shalom Center do strategic organizational planning to maximize impact and assure that daily work and special projects are done on an agreed schedule and help to advance the issues we engage and the position of the organization.
We are seeking a Program Coordinator who has demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience in the following areas:
- Jewish and other spiritually rooted values, rituals, and practice.
- Policies to transform social relationships in regard to subjugation of Earth, racism, sex and gender discrimination, and economic inequality -- all to bring about an inclusive democracy, and a Beloved Community that embraces Earth and human earthlings, based in an Ecological worldview rather than one of Hierarchy and Subjugation.
- The use of “soul-force” through the vote and vigils, sit-ins and stand-ups, empowerment of the powerless, in achieving social change.
- Strong experience in how to use social media platforms. Specifically, we now use but need to augment a Website, FaceBook, email blasts including a blog, and Twitter. We barely use Instagram, Reddit, YouTube, podcasts ,and other forms of social media management.
- Ability to manage an email list of more than 10,000 names and on-line fundraising campaigns, requiring efficient database organization and management. There is a constant flow of emails that need responses or acknowledgment, scheduling, calls and reconciling of contributions, changes of credit cards, changes of address and the general administration of the organization.
- The ability to work with Rabbi Waskow to help him get the work he wants to accomplish done, while making sure that work is being done on a predictable schedule.
- The ability to participate and coordinate strategic planning efforts.
- The ability to monitor and supervise a part time bookkeeper and intern.
- The ability to assist in fundraising efforts.
The Shalom Center has a limited budget and limitless goals. We will pay a salary of $40,000 with annual cost-of-living increases, necessary withholding, accrued vacation and sick leave, paid time off for civil and Jewish holydays, and a contribution towards health insurance.
Although a Philadelphia residence for the Program Coordinator would probably be more convenient, we do not believe it is essential,
We are asking for candidates to make a two-year minimum commitment to the position. We also want someone who can start in the position by August 15th at the latest to support a smooth transition with the current staff person who will leave in October.
Please send a letter of interest, a CV and supporting materials you believe will show your unique qualifications to: Awaskow@theshalomcenter.org with “Program Coordinator” in the subject line.