The Shalom Center invites you to honor three crucial activists for “Sowing the Seeds of Transformative Leadership.”
- Bill McKibben, world-renowned leader of 350.org and of campaigns against the Keystone XL Tar Sands dirty-oil Pipeline;
- Bishop Dwayne Royster, political director of PICO, the national umbrella for religious congregation-based community organizing, with a special concern for and involvement with African American and Latino communities; and
- Sophia Wilansky, the young anti-pipeline organizer who, after stints working against oil-delivery pipelines in New England and New York, came to Standing Rock as a Water Protector and was cruelly wounded by the militarized police when they attacked the steadfast opponents of what the Sioux Nation has called the poisonous “black snake” of their traditional prophecies.
Three aspects of the event are:
- Young Activists: A conversation between the three honorees and young activists (age 17-35) nominated and sponsored by their congregational or organizational cosponsors of the event, over dinner 5-7pm.
Organizational cosponsors wishing to sponsor a young activist for this conversation, dinner, and honor event, Cosponsor Now!
- Dinner: A dinner where registrants will have a chance to meet each other and our three honorees, 5-7pm.
Dinner includes the conversation from 7-9pm; the combination of the two is available for a minimum contribution of $180, if space allows.
- Honor Event: A shared conversation in which the three honorees will talk with each other other attendees, in the host congregation’s sanctuary, 7-9pm.
Honor Event contribution is $50, if space allows:
Honor Event for student or disemployed (jobless or underemployed) contribution is $25, if space allows.
Space is available in the tribute book to offer tribute to the honorees or publicize your organization.
- Full-page (size 5 1⁄2 x 8 1⁄2 vertical, Live Area: 4 3⁄4 x 7 3⁄4), Short heading + 200 words or less. $200
- Half page (size 5 1⁄2 x 4 1⁄4 horizontal), Short heading + 100 words or less. $100
- Quarter page (size 2 3/4 x 4 1⁄4 horizontal), Short heading + 50 words or less. $50
To publish in the tribute book, click here now or on the confirmation screen after your registration.
Text for the tribute book is due to The Shalom Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5/7/17 in order to meet deadlines for layout and printing.
SPONSOR A YOUNG PERSON
Cosponsoring organizations can sponsor a young (age 17-35) activist for the youth event, dinner, and honor event by:
- registering here with a contribution of $65 (cost of the dinner), and
- sending, to email@example.com by 5/7/17, the name and e-mail address of your nominee along with your organization's name.
Shalom Center staff will advise the nominee of details related to their registration status.
COSPONSOR THE EVENT AS AN ORGANIZATION
To register your organization or congregation as a cosponsor the event, Cosponsor Now!.
Net proceeds will benefit the on-going work of The Shalom Center in two directions:
- for social change toward toward racial, economic, & gender justice; compassion; and democracy, with a focus on healing our wounded Mother Earth and the human communities under threat of climate chaos; and
- against efforts at top-down domination and subjugation of Earth and human earthlings.
4101 Freeland Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19128